Thursday, October 12, 2006

10.10.06 -- 9:45 PM

(BLOG NOTE: Okay, so the spontenaity of this project--and the expediancy to which I set out on it--has left me very unprepared for what I'm wanting to do. I wanted to update the blog daily and thought that I'd find places where I could type stuff up quickly and continue on without distracting Jay from his journey. But we go hours without a gas station--nevermind an internet cafe. So I haven't been able to upload what I've handwritten in my journal. But I've remedied that. I'll be able to post maybe more than one post a day. And I'll be able to post video too. I'm two days behind on the entries but I should be caught up by tomorrow. VIDEO NOTE: I'm working with iMovie when I'm used to Final Cut, which is the equivalent to speeding around town in a porshe and then being relegated to a bicycle. So I can't do everything I'd like but . . . )

10.10.06 -- 9:45 PM
Jay, walking stick in hand, was a veritable P.T. Barnum this morning at the press conference before setting off on his journey. He'd point to a sign and acknowledge it's historical significance as enthralled as if he were pointing at Jumbo, Zip the Pinhead, General Tom Thumb:



He's bubbling with the knowledge of sixty years and is very generous with it. We didn't get a chance to really sit and talk today. But we did get in plenty of walking. 14 miles of walking in the Texas sun. By that time, my camera weighed 300 lbs. and I could no longer feel the soles of my feet.

I had been running up and down the street while Jay was walking, shooting him at various angles.

I was exhausted.

The camera crew from the NBC affiliate in Laredo had been following us since we had left Laredo. We came to our stopping point for the day, the Exxon at Rio Bravo, and I slumped down in a chair in their small dining area. The last thing I remember was placing my arms on the table and laying my head on them.

I was awakened by an impassioned voice. It belonged to a local rancher who was discussing the damage the fence would do not only to his land but, more importantly, to the wildlife all up and down the Rio Grande.

After the rancher left, I asked Jay where we were spending the night. He told me he wasn't able to get in contact with the gentleman who was going to put us up and that we were going to have to camp out at a local park.

I dreaded the thought of setting out in the morning. I dreaded the thought of the following day's 15 miles without having showered.

We were about to set the tent poles in the ground when we got a phone call. We ended up staying in a motel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home