Sunday, October 22, 2006

10.15.06 -- 9:00 PM

John often prefaces his comments with "I love my country, but . . ." I took a step back when he admitted to me that he voted Republican in the last election and that he often listened to conservative radio. But he says the media is so off on the border debate that it has caused him to question everything else they stand for.

John knows the border better than most Border Patrol; he knows the the valley, the river intimately. Another topic he is well-versed in is war.

He fought in Vietnam.

I have learned much from John. Especially about war. I'll never forget what he said when I finally mustered the courage to ask him the question I had wanted to know since I discovered he was a vet.

"What's war like?" I said, both of us sipping on a cold beer.

He took a deep breath. Stared off into the dark, glistening Rio Grande in the distance. "Have you ever been in a car wreck?" he asked me.

"Yeah."

"It's like that, but slower . . . and continuous. You see an arm detach from a body. Blood."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All is fair in love and war and war is hell.

Hope to see you guys Wednesday. That is, if my dentist Dr. Mengele, doesn't knock my out of commission Tuesday.

carlos guerra

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesse, what do you think of the Texas border now that you have seen it up close and personally?

carlos

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jesse Salmeron said...

It's definitely not what I imagined--specially considering what mainstream media has made it out to be.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home