Monday, October 16, 2006

10.12.06 -- 9:00 PM

I remember watching a sunset once. I wasn’t really watching it. I wasa teenager and I was with a girl, whose name I can’t recall, and I was thinking of what would be the right thing to say at the moment. I got the girl, but I didn’t know until today that I had failed that day:



Even though there were several things I had to get done today, I sat there for nearly an hour and watched the sun’s embers slowly fade. I wondered if, perhaps, an undocumented immigrant had rested on that very bank, the American Dream beating feverishly in his heart. I wondered if he had watched the sun fade on a way of life, on culture, on family.

I wondered if his dreams were ever realized.

I wondered many things but one thing I knew: if the wall were to be built no one would ever be able to see a sunset from that bank again. Instead, they would see a cold, grey, steel wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home